Friday, November 15, 2019

November 11: Toddler Storytime: Nocturnal Animals

(Reminder note: When it is time to read a story, I read the titles of three books and then display them. The children pick which one we read. The ones listed below are the ones they picked.)

Opening song:                                (Tune: The Farmer in the Dell")

             We tap hola like this
             We tap ho la like this
                 Hi-ho cherry
             We tap hola like this

               Continue with other verses:
                  We drop hola like this...
                   We circle hola like this...
                 We spin hola like this...
                We toss hola like this..
                 We roll hola like this....
                     We stomp hola like this...


I reminded them that last time we learned that there are animals that sleep during the day while we are awake. We learned that most spiders do this. Then I explained that today we are going to  learn about many of the other animals that are nocturnal.

I used books including the two listed below to show the children pictures of some of the nocturnal animals that they might not be familiar with.

                     
           
                                           





Story: "Night Animals" by Gianna Marino








Action song found on YouTube (we only did the chorus):

“Nocturnal Animals”

Well, I’m just noc-noc-nocturnal,
Snoozing through the day,
I stay up when it’s dark outside,
That’s when I like to play…
And while the whole world’s sleeping,
I’m flying, running, creeping,
I’m up all through the night,
It’s good for me!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFG7etbxl5o





Shaker song:

“Nocturnal Animals”
(Tune: “Old Susanna”)

The sun has set,
The moon is up
Some animals sleep
And others wake up.
Nocturnal animals
Are out all night.
They go back to sleep
In the daylight.



Dance with me around the room (The children and parents stand up and line up behind me. I use an oatmeal container as a drum.):
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, kick, kick
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, spin, spin
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, hop, hop
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, fly, fly
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, walk sideways, walk sideways
1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, walk backwards, walk backwards
Repeat first 2 all the way back to your spot






     
Story: "Little Owl's Night" by Divya Srinivasan




Action song using hand motions: 


“Bats are Sleeping”
(Tune: “Are You Sleeping”)

Bats are sleeping
Bats are sleeping


Upside down.
Upside down.

Sleeping in the morning sun.
Waiting for the night to come.

Then they’ll be
Hunting for food.





Movement song:
“I’m a Little Raccoon”
(Tune: “I’m a Little Teapot”)

I’m a little raccoon, prowling around
(use your hands like little paws)
I hunt for food without a sound
(look left then right and then make a shhhhhhh motion)
A mask on my face and a bushy tail,
(point to your eyes and swish one arm behind you like a taik)
Let’s see if you can spot my trail! (hand on forehead like you are searching)




Spanish song with shakers: "Diez en La Cama" ("Ten in the Bed")        
          We sang the song first in English. Then I gave all the parents copies of the words to  the song in Spanish.
         Here is a link to the YouTube video that we sing along with.





Goodbye Song:

 (Tune: "The Farmer in the Dell")
We tap adios like this
 We tap adios like this
Hi-ho cherry
  We tap adios like this

Continue with other verses:
We drop adios like this...
   We circle adios like this...
  We spin adios like this...
   We toss adios like this...
  We roll adios like this...
           We stomp adios like this...


                                  
Model the craft and then parents help their children complete it.

Craft: Porcupine

          Materials:  Spaghetti
                            Tooth picks
                            Googly eyes
                            Glue
                            Markers
                            Copies of a porcupine outline on white cardstock
                            (I looked at clip art of porcupines to draw a basic body)







              
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment